Tuesday, December 06, 2005

me & metaphysics

I've had some bad experiences over the past few months with the metaphysical world. The only positive one was that I was invited to write an article for a local publication called The Door Opener about Mayanism, which I did. I also paid for an advertisement to run in that same issue about my upcoming Mayanism class. Seems like a slam-dunk, right? well, the ad didn't run, and I got no one for the class. The only student I've ever gotten for it never paid me--from 2 years ago.
Also the whole thing with the Feathered Serpent Initate thing (the reason I started this blog)...the teacher flaked out on me, he never once read any of my postings, and he stopped sending me lessons even though I'd paid in advance and bought $200 worth of books to support the lessons.
I had a horrible experience at the New Age Fair I work at a few times a year. I was in a lot of pain from my tailbone (which I thought would be healed by then, and wasn't or I wouldn't have agreed to go), and then I got one 1 reading and no reflexology clients. I decided to just cut my losses and go home halfway through the day. I went downstairs to collect the $10 owed to me for the reading and found out they'd changed their procedures and I OWED money. $20 for my "space" (in a hallway where no paying vendor would EVER be placed). $20 for bringing my own chair (my reflexology chair--would they provide one for me? No. But I have to pay to bring my own.) and the minimum of $20/10% from my reflexology business. So I was $60 in the hole just for showing up and I'd only made $10. They had changed the rules without telling anyone in advance. WRONG.
So I am not working there anymore. I was just going to do readings, but no, I'm not doing that either.
I've mentioned on here how I stopped my Circle of Light meetings due to lack of interest. (A lack so profound that when I put up a poll asking "why didn't you come to meetings" no one ever responded!) I had very few students for Shamballa this year--a class of 3 way back in April who were mostly upgrades who already knew Reiki and another woman who took 2 levels around the same time. I had her and 3-5 past students ready for level 3 and none of them could get it together to agree on a date, or they had no money, blah blah blah.
So fuck it. I'm not teaching Shamballa anymore. I'm not doing Reiki sessions or reflexology sessions. I'm not putting myself out there and getting slapped down.
Why am I even posting this here? No one ever comes and reads this blog--there was one guy who commented for a while, but not lately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gevera,
I found this entry while I was looking at Alzheimer's blogs. I can understand your frustration. People tend to follow spirituality when they really need it and then dump it in this age of instant gratification and innumerable responsibilities.

My advice to you is to join a local circle of like-minded people that have some history in their practices. I know there is a light-worker's church in East Hartford and my wife goes to one that is growing in leaps and bounds in Bristol (Church of Eternal Light - listed in phone book, services Sunday @ 2).

Sucks that you got burned on the fair. Money and spirituality are an unnatural mix, almost antithetical to each other.

How are you doing with your dad? My mother-in-law came up to stay with us while she got tested for a possible malfunction of her hydrocephalus pump - due to symptoms of memory loss. The doctor, after extensive tests, said it's stage 4 Alzheimers. I just found out yeaterday so I am researching and trying to find lots of info for my wife and sister-in-law before we start making decisions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gevera,

Haven't been by here in awhile, thought you had quit writing to this blog. Visionaries like yourself are like the tree that grows out of the crack of a cliff. The view is great but you stand alone. It is easy to get disgruntled with people. That happens to me all the time. If you recall me getting angry and leaving the 'Mayan_Studies' Yahoo group (camazotz845@yahoo.com). Probably more of a quirk in my personality than in other peoples', or maybe a little of both. Groups don't seem to work well for me.

David