Thursday, January 22, 2009

18-foot python tries to eat 3-year old (animals)

A family in Las Vegas was caring for a friend's 18-foot reticulated python. The snake got loose somehow and attempted to eat the family's 3-old child. The child's mom stabbed the snake and saved the child. Sadly the snake's injuries were deemed fatal and it was executed.
Reticulated pythons are the same type that are loose in Florida and are found under people's porches and which are challenging the alligator for supremacy of the Everglades. The pythons are just doing what they are supposed to; it's people who don't think. Of course the cute little snake will grow into something huge and dangerous, and zoos don't want them, no one wants them. I worked in the pet business and I hated selling snakes. I'm not afraid of them but I don't see the allure. Stories like this make me feel sad. I don't hate the snake for trying to eat the child, and I feel bad that the snake died. There's no happy ending possible, really.
Screenprint; Image source=article source (title link goes to article).

No comments: