Saturday, December 22, 2007

Synesthesia


I've known for quite some time that I have synesthesia because smells have colors. It is a condition where some of your senses either switch places or overlap. Cool, but no big deal.
I recently answered a question on synesthesia on Askville, and someone had a link to www.synesthete.org where you can take a test to see if you've got synesthesia or not. I knew I had the smell thing and I figured why not take the test and get registered.
And to my surprise, I have TWO kinds. Seeing time in spirals is a type of synesthesia! (If you've ever read my essay on how I found my way to the Tzolkin, I talk about seeing time in a spiral. I thought everyone did. )
So here is the test (top graphic) and underneath it is a diagram of how I see the year, screenprinted from the program I used to make it for the test.
My viewpoint is always around the end of November. So when it's summer, and I close my eyes and think of the year, my viewpoint isn't in June. It's still November.
Now I wonder if this condition is what makes me obsessed with time and the Tzolkin. Maybe the ancient Maya all had it too, and that's why time and calendars and tracking them were so important. But with my 100% European blood, how can I be a throwback?
12.19.14.16.14 2 Kankin 11 Ix Happy Yule! Happy Solstice!

1 comment:

Mauigirl said...

Very cool site - I took the test because I see colors associated with letters, numbers, days of the week and months. The most noticeable colors for me are blue, red, yellow/gold and green. Some months, days or numbers don't have a real color associated with them but many do. I did score below 1.0 on the sections of the test pertaining to these types of synesthesia.

I don't look at the months as a circle as you do but I see them more as a ladder or maybe a curve - climbing upward from January through the summer and then downward again.